If you are a crazy fan of coffee or not, you must have heard “ egg coffee” – an unusual and unique coffee in Vietnam.
So what is Egg Coffee and where to find it? All in HERE!
1. What exactly is Vietnamese Egg Coffee???
If you really love coffee and want to try many kinds of coffee, Vietnamese egg coffee will actually a unique kind you shouldn’t miss
The specialty making this coffee unique and attractive to the tourists is the ingredients: Hanoians mixed eggs into coffee to create a new flavour.
Coffee with sugar, sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks together make this strange and really hard to imagine. But strangely, the taste is surprisingly good (if not EXCELLENT!)
Egg yolks are soft creamy, meringue-like on typical Vietnamese coffee. Somehow it just works and comes with the taste of pleasure!
Besides egg coffee, Vietnamese have also come up with many tasty street foods, which make you pleased and pay attention at the first bite!
2. A deep-rooted history of egg coffee Hanoi
In the 19th century, French colonist introduced coffee to Vietnam. After that, this product is more and more developed in Vietnam and up till now, Vietnam has been one of strongly coffee exporters in the world.
Due to the limitations of fresh milk, the French and Vietnamese began to use sweetened condensed milk with a black roasted coffee.
In the 1940s, Nguyen Van Giang, a bartender in Sofitel Legend Metropole invented “egg coffee” by coincidental when he couldn’t find fresh milk and he decided to whisk egg into his coffee
Fortunately, the result was amazing and delicious, therefore he started his business by opening Cafe Giang, the original Vietnamese egg coffee king in order to introduce this signature drink. After that, this drink is one of the most favourite coffee in Hanoi
Year by year, the image of someone sitting on the plastic chair, sipping a cup of coffee on the narrow shop or sidewalk has become a familiar image of Hanoi and Vietnam coffee culture
And it will be more exciting when you can see it through the eyes of a local for FREE in these FREE Hanoi Walking Tour!
3. Special kinds of Hanoi Egg Coffee
Vietnamese egg coffee has become widely available since its first introduction to consumers, so many versions of the original recipe have been changed or replicated in various forms.
You can order hot or cold egg coffee and the experience of both is a bit different.
Cold coffee is contained in a cup filled with ice and tastes like a dessert. It seems similar to cream or tiramisu .
The hot version of Vietnamese egg coffee is placed in a smaller cup and has a thick, fluffy egg head. A yellow pile of jacked-up ice cream kindness is perfection.
>>> More about Vietnam’s essence in Hanoi Street Food Tour with FREE local guides
4. Where to try Best Egg Coffee in Hanoi?
For Vietnamese, the best time to enjoy a cup of coffee is after the breakfast
Because coffee culture is an important and cohesive part in Vietnamese culture and society, so more and more cafes will have their own versions.
Below are some high-ranked store serving the best “egg-cellent” egg coffee in Hanoi.
Cafe Giang – Giang Cafe Hanoi
- Address: 30 Nguyen Huu Tuan Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
- Average price: 15.000 – 33.000 VND
Café Giang is known as the original cafe serving Vietnamese egg coffee in Hanoi.
People said it has to be “Giang Cafe” when it comes to egg coffee in Hanoi.
Giang Cafe was founded by Mr Giang in 1946, but year by year, the flavour of its egg coffee is still remained as in the early days, with the rich foam made from egg yolks, Vietnamese coffee powder, condensed milk with sugar, butter and some cheese.
Which one will be your favorite?
Not only egg coffee, but Giang coffee created a lot of unique drinks as well. Matcha eggs, egg chocolate, egg beer, to name a few.
At first, you may be curious about the weird name. But I’m sure that you can be attracted by the first sight and first sip of this kind of coffee
To find Giang, you really need to pay attention to the sign above the small alley then walk down the street to meet the famous cafe
- Opening hours: Daily from 7:00 am to 10:30 pm
- Parking: You have to park your vehicle opposite Café Giang (Cost: 10.000 VND/time).
- Menu: In addition to egg coffee, the store also serves Cocoa coffee or Beer coffee. Their flavor and color are quite attractive and elegant.
- The space of Café Giang is quite small so if you want to get a favorable seat, avoid coming on a crowded time.
- Enjoy Best Egg Coffee in Hanoi Old Quarter FREE Walking Tour with local students
- Address: The second floor, 13 Dinh Tien Hoang, Hang Bac Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
- Average price: 30.000 – 70.000 VND
Another famous cafe appreciated – Dinh Cafe. The owner of Dinh Café is Ms. Bich, the daughter of the original egg cafe, Nguyen Van Giang.
At first glance, it seems a bit sketchy from the hidden entrance called “hole in the wall” by some funny travelers. But once you go upstairs, find it packed and smell the egg flavor, you will crave for a cup of the famous egg coffee.
With a sufficient amount of eggs, we can have a strong taste blended with coffee, in addition, the rustic interior gives us the vibe of Hanoi landscape
This cafe is completely suitable for someone to enjoy the beautiful scenery of Hoan Kiem Lake meanwhile trying a cup of egg coffee.
- Opening hours: Every day from 7:00 am to 10:30 pm
- In addition to the famous egg coffee, cafe owner Dinh has created his own performance, using cocoa. This is Cocoa Egg with charming and garnish.
- Because this cafe is crowded so soon, you should come earlier to get a suitable position on the balcony.
Old Quarter Café – Cafe Pho Co
- Address: 11 Gai Street, Hoan Kiem Lake, Hanoi
- Average price: 20.000- 55.000 VND
If you are the one who are keen on the ancient beauty of the Old Quarter, this shop has a spectacular view overlooking the old houses .
You will enter a normal looking silk store, then go upstairs until you see a coffee shop. A tiny lane leads to a tiny coffee shop with the stunning view of Hoan Kiem Lake and a cup of egg coffee.
Such a great experience in Hanoi!
- Opening hours: Daily from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm
- As the store doesn’t have parking lot, so it is better to walk there or you can transport outside.
- Egg coffee, egg cocoa and coconut milk coffee with great taste and reasonable prices are the specialties of the Old Quarter Cafe
5. Now how to enjoy Best Egg Coffee Hanoi like a real local?
Vietnamese coffee tends to be very bold and sweet, so this coffee is often enjoyed in conjunction with delicious side dishes like Biscuits, Sunflower Seeds and Chiffon Cake.
Almost of Vietnamese use coffee at breakfast. You can order some sandwiches and bread to have a nutritious breakfast meal.
You can enjoy egg coffee with a spoon to drink the coffee through the egg topping or mix everything together.
Observing the locals the way they enjoy a cup of egg coffee is the best choice if you are at the first time trying this kind of coffee.
Admiring the sightseeing of Hanoi meanwhile sipping a cup of egg coffee is really great experience for both locals and foreigners
We hope that you can have this experience on your trip to Hanoi. For more information, please contact One Trip. We are always here to help!